Bachelor In Official Statistics
Since it's establishment in 1965, the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre has been confering Foundation, Certificate and Diploma qualifications in Statistical Studies. Now for the first time in 47 years, the Centre has introduced a Bachelor's Degree in Official Statistics with the 2012/2013 intake. The registration of almost 50 students commensed on the 1st of October 2012.
The general objective of the programme leading to Bachelor in Statistics (B.Stat) degree is to equip graduates with knowledge and skills that will enable them to handle socio-economic statistics, to conduct statistical enquiries by designing, planning and executing sample surveys and censuses. It intends to produce practically oriented statisticians. Graduates should be able to work with specialists in other fields.
Objective of the Programme
- Design, implement and manage a statistical system in an organisation.
- Undertake and manage sample surveys and censuses in all social statistics right from the design, data collection, processing and analysis to report writing, in areas like; Housing statistics, Education Statistics, Labour Statistics, Health Statistics and Criminal Justice Statistics.
- Undertake and manage sample surveys and censuses in all economic statistics right from the design, data collection, processing and analysis to report writing, in areas like Agricultural Statistics, Infrastructure Statistics, Trade Statistics, Industrial Statistics, Transport Statistics.
- Compile national accounts of a country or any level of the government like province or region and district.
- Work with specialised personnel to design scientific studies that need statistics in their areas of specialisation, like in medical statistics, crop and animal husbandry.
- Assist planners and decision makers in using the right data and correct methods in achieving their goals.
- Apply national and international statistical standards as they are issued from time to time.
- Manage a statistical unit/office/department of an organisation in any country.
Minimum Entry Requirements for Bachelor in Statistics (3 years)
- Direct Entry to the Centre OR Entry through TCU A relevant NTA 6 or its equivalent established by NACTE
based on Tanzania Education system
- An Advanced Level Secondary Certificate with at least two Principals including Mathematics or at least two Principals
and a Subsidiary in Basic Applied Mathematics at Tanzania Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination
or its equivalent established by NECTA.
The Bachelor in Statistics takes two or three years. Each academic year is divided into two semester of seventeen weeks each.